[Klug-general] Re: Using Linux (Fedora Core 1)

Graham graham at sweeney276.f2s.com
Fri Dec 17 13:30:04 GMT 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:30:59 +0000
Peter <peter at sheppey.free-online.co.uk> wrote:

>                           For   Against
> Mandrake            5
> SUSE                  2
> Ubuntu                1         1
> Gentoo                1         1
> Fedora                1          2
> Debian                1
> Novell Desktop   1

Interesting.  I've just picked up my mail after a stay away.

This is a little misleading because Ubuntu uses Debian as do other
distros.  I myself use Libranet 2.8.1 and Knoppix 3.x, both Debian
based.  The problem with "pure" Debian is the installer, which is much
better in other debian based distros.  But using Libranet 2.8.1 I still
have a full Sid based distro without compromise.

I've only tried the Ubuntu live CD and as this is Gnome based whereas I
prefer KDE it doesn't get my vote (similarly Gnoppix).  However I would
never go back to the rpm based distros again with even more "dependency
hell".

My vote is for Libranet 2.8.1 and if this means voting for Debian on the
lists, that is my vote.

Graham