[Klug-general] Book for total newbie?

Chris Wigzell chris at wigzells.ndo.co.uk
Sun Dec 19 19:45:34 GMT 2004

Chris Wigzell wrote:

> Hi!
> I am Chris Wigzell, a retired person.  I am mainly a lurker on this
> newsgroup, and have not yet managed to get Linux running fully on my
> computer. I have SuSe 9.1 (a free DVD), but need to install a driver
> for my modem.  I have the driver, but have failed to work out how to
> install it.  Can anyone recommend a small, simple (and cheap, I am a
> pensioner) book that will help me to do the kind of things you lot
> seem to be able to do without any effort at all?
> I will try to come to the next meeting (Where is it? Maidstone?) and
> bring my computer, but I would prefer to learn how to do things myself.
> Regards,
> Chris

Many thanks to all the very helpful members who replied.  I will try to
follow Georges instructions,  and I have learned that in Linux a
terminal is not a workstation or what you use in a network, but how you
change stuff.  Its such silly misunderstandings that defeat me!
I will go and browse the recommended books and the websites you all
suggested.  I dont hope like Margot to be totally Microsoft free in the
future if ever, but at least to be on the road.
Merry Christmas to all!
By the way if there are any members going to the next meeting from
Tonbridge or on the way, who would like to car-share or a lift, please
contact me.
Chris