[Klug-general] Loss of Internet link

George Prowse cokehabit at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 19:11:15 BST 2005

Michael E. Rentell wrote:
> These poetical strap-lines and literary responses are most uplifting.
> Clearly Kent Lug Org is an erudite group.
> Regarding the practicalities, I shall try that. But it is only a trivial
> problem which I can cure in about 90 seconds each time I switch on so
> perhaps I should wait for the October (isn't it?) new edition of
> Mandriva and just upgrade from there. I usually get these upgrades on a
> DVD from Linux Format magazine so it doesn't entail a huge download.
> Thanks for the advice, much appreciate your time and effort.
> Michael E. Rentell, BA
> Treasurer
> www.airship-association.org
> (also privately michael.rentell at ntlworld.com)

Well Coleridge will always be the best of the romantic poets in my view
for probably the same reasons that the mysoginist in Hemmingway made his
books more colourful than Steinbecks.

Anyway, enough of the classical literature, you had questions you wanted
answering.

Recently rules to hotplugable devices have changed so make sure
everything is ok in /etc/conf.d/net and
A couple of things you want to check are as follows:

hotplug_eth0="yes"

and in # INTERFACE HANDLERS, # OPTIONAL MODULES

if you use dhcp then you want...  config_eth0=( "dhcp" )

plus you need config_eth0=( "adsl" ) and
adsl_user_eth0="my-adsl-username" for your modem.

George