[Klug-general] Upgrades without Broadband

Karl Lattimer karl at nncc.info
Fri Feb 4 10:41:49 GMT 2005

Yum should deal with disconnects quite well, in my experience, when I've
had package downloads time out (just like a disconnect) the retries pick
up quite well.

If you're on unmetered dialup I suggest that you use wvdial (or gui
equivalent) to enable demand dialling, then just leave it over night to
do its work.

Yum should continue trying to get a package until its done, or error. If
you get an error post it and I'm sure there'll be a solution.

The only major problem you will face is if packages are over the 37Mb
(2hr disconnect) size limit.

I don't think anything other than open office fits into this category,
you should probably put that in an exclude= line in your yum.conf

hope this helps.

Karl

PS. Get broadband, always on and cheap too, you can get packages as low
as 15£ per month. It makes sense ;)