[Klug-general] Should RPM go away and Die a slow and painful death?

Karl Lattimer karl at nncc.info
Wed Jun 22 08:12:53 BST 2005

> Undoubtedly RPM has helped out anyone wanting to install things on linux
> and especially on anything production but the fact that remains is that
> the flaws that were mentioned earlier have only started being addressed
> in things like fedora where as apt saw the failures of rpm and addressed
> it. I'm not saying apt is great, just its a superior product, apt
> suffers from terrible logging that rpm doesn't though.

Apt is not a superior product also, its a COMPLETELY different product,
as is yum. apt is more like a bolt-on for your basic package management
system which extends the range of the dependency checking.

And still you haven't provided one single feature of the deb package
management system which is either crucial to getting a job done, or
generally a great idea which rpm doesn't have.

RPM will live forever because of its standing in the community, I don't
even think the deb distro will last much longer. Although some of their
technology may survive.