[Klug-general] Ubuntu and Kabuntu

Graham gct3 at f2s.com
Thu Jun 23 00:01:54 BST 2005

On Tuesday 21 Jun 2005 00:29, aleX Layfield wrote:

> It's useable... and ethically... pretty good...
>
> For kids? Maybe... but I'm not a kid... just stupid...

Thanks Alex and others for your input!

I didn't intend to start flame wars rpm vs deb and YaST vs non YaST!
However, several points were made which I want to answer.

I simply prefer to USE Debian based systems than non-Debian based
systems, be they Gentoo or SuSE...or even RedHat and Madrake.  There is
no "right" Linux system, all have their advantages and disadvantages,
but if they are relatively easy to use and fairly comprehensive with a
decent user base, they should be OK for most people's purposes.  As I
said, I prefer to use a Debian based distro and that is the reason why
I looked at Ubuntu and Kubuntu (sorry for my typo in the subject
line :-/ ).

I have looked further at these and the fact is that they keep their
depositories up to date and distro specific is definitely a plus.  Set
up as Ubuntu with the Kubuntu desktop, thee whole is simple and looks
good, the only real problem that there is no root account and the sudo
system is used.  However, there are hardware compatibility problems
raised in the user lists which seem to have been solved in other
distros such as Mepis or Knoppix.  So, for me the jury's still out.

I must admit I like the "feel" of Libranet.  I know that's very
subjective and can't be quantified easily, but I can't easily upgrade
it so short of paying for Libranet 3, I'm looking around at other
distros.

Even though I like Debian based distros, I have in the past used
Slackware, so I have looked at this again.  As my fiancee also uses the
box when she is with me, I'm afraid the bare bones boot up screen is
anathema to her.  At least this Windows user is impressed with the
current state of Linux to want me to get the latest useable GUI
programs.  Which brings me back to Ubuntu/Kubuntu.....

Again, thanks for your input.

--

Graham