[Klug-general] Re: Cups - Admin Password

Ritchie Fraser ritchie at rpfraser.uklinux.net
Thu Jun 23 19:49:25 BST 2005

On Thursday 23 June 2005 19:00, you wrote:
> On Thursday 23 Jun 2005 18:16, Ritchie Fraser wrote:

> > > Someone on another list was having a similar problem a few weeks ago,
> > > but he was using Ubuntu which doesn't have a root password - everything
> > > is done by sudo, so it turned out that all he needed was to enter his
> > > own "normal" username and password. Have you tried that?
> > >
> > > Failing that, in Mandrake/driva there's a handy little GUI utility
> > > called userdrake - used by root, it displays details of all users and
> > > groups and allows them to be edited. Is there something similar in
> > > SuSE?
> >
> > Hi Margot,
> >
> > Yep, my normal username/password combo also doesn't work.
> > SuSE has a Yast module called "User and Group Administration" which
> > requires the root password to open it, where I can change passwords etc
> > for any account. There is no dedicated account called cups. The only one
> > that I can see that might be relevant is lp. I have already changed the
> > password for this account but makes no difference. The web authentication
> > just wont accept it.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Ritchie
>
> Richie,
> 	try:
>
> man lppasswd
>
> That should help you a bit.

Fantastic,

Used "lppasswd -a root" as suggested. I can now manage printers via the cups
web interface. Many thanks to enquiries at thedumbterminal.co.uk and to all who
suggested possible solutions.

Best Regards

Ritchie

--
	A novel approach is to remove all power from the system, which
removes most system overhead so that resources can be fully devoted to