[Klug-general] mysql with OpenOffice

Kevin Groves kgroves at ksoft-creative-projects.co.uk
Tue Mar 15 21:43:07 GMT 2005

OK Here goes....

My /etc/unixODBC/odbc.ini has:

[ODBC Data Sources]
myodbc=mysql

[myodbc]
Description  = mysql
Database=mba
HostName=localhost
Port=3306
User=root
Password=xxxx
Driver        = /usr/lib/unixODBC/libmyodbc.so

My /etc/unixODBC/odbcinst.ini has:

[myodbcdriver]
Description        = MySQL ODBC 2.50 Driver DSN
Driver        = /usr/lib/unixODBC/libmyodbc.so

Make sure MySQL is running and first try a direct connect to it via the
mysql command.

If that works then try the unixODBC version called isql by doing:

isql myodbc root xxxx

Should connect.

Then in OpenOffice (mine is 1.1.0) goto Data Sources and create an ODBC one.

In the Data Source URL click the button and you should see myodbc
listed, select it which will give you:

sdbc:odbc:myodbc

Go to the ODBC tab and enter the user name which in my case is root.
Click on password required if needed and in my case it is.

When you click on the Tables tab it should pop up with a password prompt
and when correct lists the tables in the source.

Kev