[Klug-general] Uptime Confusion

Kevin Groves kevin.groves at kentpharm.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 14:38:31 BST 2005

Karl Lattimer wrote:

>/proc/uptime is set on kernel boot, unless an application with
>permission has changed it then assume it is correct.

Very strange then it should be something like 17000. Cant say what it
was now because the machine has just gone nuts and lost localhost
connection so had to reboot.

>try looking at your dmesg log and see the last time the server rebooted,
>you may find its gone down and backup because of a power surge etc...
>without you even noticing.

That's the funny thing. We all have vnc sessions on that machine and
none were affected.

I think I'll have a bit of a google time then....

Kev,

>On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 14:24 +0100, Kevin Groves wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>A bit of a strange thing, perhaps nothing to worry about but one of my
>>systems says the uptime is only 4 days but cant be more than a couple of
>>months.
>>
>>I dont remember what the uptime/top said last week as it's something I
>>don't really keep an eye on.
>>
>>Just had a look in /proc/uptime and the number of seconds (I think
>>that's what it is) is quite low compared to another server up 20days.
>>
>>Am I just going mad?
>>
>>Kev,

The Information contained in this email is confidential and intended for the
use of the addressee only.  Unauthorised disclosure, copying, distribution
or reliance on the contents is strictly prohibited. Please reply immediately
if you receive this email in error.  Although this e-mail and any
attachments are believed to be free of virus, it is the responsibility of
the recipient to ensure that that is the case.