[Klug-general] Re: [Gllug] Monitoring network usage

Sharon Kimble sharonm63 at tiscali.co.uk
Tue May 17 00:08:27 BST 2005

On Monday 16 May 2005 22:34, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> On Monday 16 May 2005 22:17, Karl Lattimer wrote:
> > I recommend the use of bmon for real time bandwidth monitoring and
> > for long term statistics i recommend install and configure snmp
> > (simple network monitoring protocol a complete oxymoron as its really
> > complex but run snmpconf and its easy to work) and mrtg (multi router
> > traffic grapher), i personally use this method and i always know how
> > much i'm using.
>
> Thanks for this Karl, I'll try your method, and see what happens. ntop
> looks good but I'm wary of loss of internet access now.

right, bmon installed and working, mrtg and net-snmp, net-snmp-perl and
net-snmp-utils installed.

snmp configured using snmpconf as a daemon, but unable to run from service
configuration gui as it says 'starting snmpd: /usr/sbin/snmpd: symbol lookup
error: usr/sbin/snmpd: undefined symbol: lastAddrAge [FAILED]' . I reckon
that I misconfigured it somewhere.

mrtg installed but when I run 'env
LANG=C /usr/bin/mrtg /home/boztu/httpd/mrtg/mrtg.cfg' I don't get any
feedback from it. I reckon that its not configured properly yet then.

Help anyone please?

I'll try again tomorrow, but meanwhile I'll leave bmon going overnight to see
whats happeming.

Sharon.

--
 23:22:06 up  5:15,  5 users,  load average: 1.05, 1.25, 1.36
A taste of linux http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html