[Klug-general] Linux for Excluded Youngsters

Karl Lattimer karl at nncc.info
Mon Oct 3 10:01:44 BST 2005

I'd recommend that you approach transgaming.com for some sponsorship
also, if you want to build these machines for gaming, transgaming would
probably be fairly willing to help. I pay them 3.30 a month to play
games like halflife2 in linux which is nice and cheap and prevents me
from entering the windows world.

You may also want to think about a larger scale deployment, by getting
the kids involved in rebuilding old PC's as linux workstations you could
start providing computers to underprivileged children, which could in
turn help more kids get real benefit from using computers. At the same
time developing skills in excluded children and allowing them to put
something back in to the community, you may also want to consider
training them in building small office servers, there is a large skills
shortage in linux server administrators and this is a perfect way to
engage them in something which one day would offer them a job. Above and
beyond flipping burgers.

My two cents,
  Karl