[Klug-general] OpenOffice 2.0 and Java

Paul Littlefield paul.littlefield at bigfoot.com
Fri Oct 28 10:28:31 BST 2005

Hi Folks

Just a quick tip / comment about the new OpenOffice 2.0.

After a recent upgrade on my Gentoo system, I noticed that OOo had been
updated to the new 2.0 release.

I clicked on my shortcut and waited... and waited... and waited. For a full 1
minute before anything happened. This on a AMD64 3.7GHz machine with 3Gb of
RAM was unacceptable.

A peek at top revealed that the ooffice2 binary was looking for a Java library
and this was taking a real hit on my resources.

Now comes the interesting part.

If you go into the options dialog box (Tools > Options > OpenOffice.org >
Java) you can turn the Java facility off... but this dialog box keeps
crashing. However, if you wait and use your keyboard to navigate around the
tick boxes and buttons, you can turn it off, hit OK and now...

...OpenOffice starts in under 2 seconds.

:-)

--
PAULLY
http://www.paully.co.uk