[Klug-general] Shiny New Laptop

Karl Lattimer karl at nncc.info
Thu Apr 20 13:43:01 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 21:55 +0100, klug at allen.brooker.gb.net wrote:
> What exactly is "hackish" about Gentoo?

1) You have to write pages justifying it
2) You have to compile everything. As previously stated, how many new PC
users can do this?
3) You need _some_ expertise to do it

Therefore, it is hackish, because you have to hack at it to get it to do
something, you can't just pop in a disc and install it.

OH and BTW have you heard of rawhide? I get prebuilt tested packages
which are only a few hours old, which have been precompiled on faster
machines than mine (redhat's porky grid generally), plus, if I have an
issue, there isn't the possibility that it is my machine alone, or my
configuration, or my -insert hackish item of contention here- which
could be affecting it.

By the rule of 'its compiled on a grid' alone chances are rawhide puts
out packages in a binary state faster than a user can emerge and build
something like, for instance wine (which takes a good few hours to
build).

The definition of hackish, means that I have to do more to make it work,
I have to sit at a keyboard and worry my fingers to make things
function, if something is broken then I have to fix it. When a stable
binary distribution you don't have this issue, as packages go through
rawhide development first.

Basically, you're a beta tester, its hackish!

K,