[Klug-general] Shiny New Laptop

Karl Lattimer karl at nncc.info
Fri Apr 21 11:56:05 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 10:12 +0000, George Prowse wrote:
> On 21/04/06, Karl Lattimer <karl at nncc.info> wrote:
>         You really are that bothered about what I've said?
>
>         LMFAO
>
> The point was to show that people who dont understand gentoo never
> generally get the idea of it.

Whilst attempting to make a personal slur against me.

Believe me, I understand it, I even use it in specific places I get the
idea, but I don't fathom why someone would run a production system on
it. There is too much which can go wrong with it, which is why it hovers
around the bottom of the distribution charts;

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

Most linux users I know refuse to put the time and effort into it, and
some of them have done LFS (like myself) whilst learning the inner
workings of the OS.

If for instance you have an issue with LDAP in a production environment,
where some badly compiled code is causing corruption in your tree then
you have a major issue. Would you have that problem with redhat EL, suse
ES? No!

The simple example to take is that to my knowledge not one single
mission critical colo server runs on gentoo, I use two colo servers
which run on FC2.

I reiterate that I understand its uses, I see reasoning for it, but I
don't see the logic in using it as a server OS, or a desktop OS. Its
more of a tinkering device.

K,