[Klug-general] Hello and an Introduction

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Wed Apr 26 12:13:50 BST 2006

Quoting Karl Lattimer <karl at nncc.info>:

>> I'm currently living in Bristol but my wife and I are planning on
>> relocating to the Thanet area within the next few months - employment
>> permitting - so I thought I'd join the local LUG and see what's going on.
>
> Don't do it! Its the patio of Britain! ;)

That maybe true but then again, Bristol is the outside-toilet... ;)

> I moved here (maidstone) about 2 years ago, from newcastle.
>

>> I'm a big fan of linux and opensource, however I'm also learning to love
>> AIX at work at the moment.  My background is a mixed one - I've worked
>> in healthcare, nightclubs and IT - but I'm set on working in IT now.
>>

> AIX rocks, IBM know what they are doing ;)

Agreed.  The sooner Unixware gets lsdev on their servers the better...

>> I'm a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) fanatic and primarily use
>> Gentoo linux at home although I'm using Redhat Enterprise Linux at work
>> at the moment.
>
> Hey, nobodies perfect ;P

Do I spy the start of a distro war here?

>> I've recently started shell scripting and my first sucessful script
>> creates name-based vhosts on Apache (I can provide a copy if anyone
>> would like a look, it's under the GPL of course!).
>
> Do you program in any other languages? Python, Perl, PHP?

PHP mainly.  I've touched on C/C++ but as I've had to learn it all of
my own back, it's not so hot.

I'd love to learn more though, especially perl.  I'm not really a
programer, however I can really see where perl, python etc can help
SysAdmins automate things.

Cheers,

Matt