[Klug-general] Screencasting on Linux

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Aug 29 11:45:56 BST 2006

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 11:10:02AM +0100, Dan Attwood wrote:
> Colin already forwarded me the link to your blog. I've been fiddiling
> with the screencast idea for weeks now and I think I've finally
> cracked it. The real probelm though is not screencasting, it's editing
> the cast and making it look pro.

That's certainly one big stumbling block.

> I've been using recordmydesktop to record the cast as it's easy to
> use, works well and records audio as well - albeit a bit jumpy.

Indeed, it's definately one of the better options.

> The problem though it that it records as ogg and there is no editing
> software for ogg that I could find. I'm therefore using VLC to
> transcode it and then edting it in cinelerra - which is an evil
> program but as least it works. I tryied diva, pitivi, kino, LiVES and
> Jahshaka and none of them were any good for one reason or another.

Agreed. Although at LUGRadio Live I got to chat to the author of diva and
see a demo of the latest CVS version. It's very slick, a real drag/drop
interface which would really suite this task very well.

Unfortunately you need bleeding edge gstreamer compiled from CVS as well as
latest Diva. The packaged releases aren't too up to date, and the CVS
versions are a little unstable. It's getting there though.

Cheers,
Al.