[Klug-general] Interactive Websites

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Fri Dec 15 23:16:26 GMT 2006

I think at present we have entered a round of preaching to the deaf and
blind.

Peter, believe all of us when we say CSS is best the way it is, it is
clear concise and by no means illegible which XML would be when applied
to CSS.

Its not difficult to learn, unless you want to dwell on the fact it is
different. On an average day I probably flip flop between 3-4 languages
on the crazy ones 6-7. The structure doesn't matter as long as you
understand what it does.

Web technologies as they stand are ideal for what they do, XHTML is one
of the most powerful layout languages around, only really inferior to
TeX, javascript/jscript are ideal for client side code, they aren't
overly bloated and do exactly what they need to do.

There are some irritations about web development which are valid, non of
which you have mentioned.

e.g. why is element.offsetTop different to element.style.top in
javascript and why is it so difficult to ascertain the absolute position
of an element on page. You have to write a recursive method of
calculating the absolute positions!

Simply citing that you don't think anyone should have to know all of
these languages and then profess to be a developer is something of a
contradiction. Being a developer means that YOU develop too, not just
the software. Its like evolution with pizza and redbull.

K,