[Klug-general] Hi All, greetings and a laptp enquiry

J D Freeman klug at quixotic.org.uk
Tue Dec 19 11:07:29 GMT 2006

> >>On 12/14/06, Matt House <matthouse at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> >> First of all Hi. I've been using Linux now for a few years and have only
> >> just got my bum in gear and joined the kent lug! So hello guys and gals,
> >> I hope I can be of help to some people =) I am based in Canterbury and
> >> my names Matt.
> >>
> >> I'm on a quest! that's right, a quest... I'm after a new laptop (well a
> >> second user laptop) as I really miss the portability (that and I need
> >> something to do some hacking on when I'm on lunch at work!). This is no
> >> ordinary laptop quest though, there are several criteria.
> >>
> >> a) It must be linux compatible, I don't mind some hacking but I would
> >> like it to be possible to have sound, working PCMCIA and all that jazz.
> >> not fussed about suspend to ram or disk.
> >>
> >> b) It must be small, I'm thinking 12" screen or under. I'm a big girls
> >> blouse when it comes to carrying things and I really don't want to have
> >> to lug a behemoth with me everywhere I go =P
> >>
> >> c) It must be cheap! I'm not looking at spending much more than about
> >> ?50, which isn't much.  However I know a few people who have managed to
> >> pick up some pretty nice P2's or low end P3's for that price, the last
> >> laptop I had was an old thinkpad X21 (p3 700MHz, 20Gb, 256Mb) and I
> >> managed to nab that off ebay for just over ?100 so I think it's
> >possible.
> >>
> >> I'm not after anything powerful (not on that budget anyway) I'm thinking
> >> of running zenwalk linux, with fluxbox. and the most strenuous task it's
> >> going to be doing is listening to lugradio whilst I bash out something
> >> in gedit.
> >>
> >> If anyone has an ideas or recommendations of models etc I'd be really
> >> grateful (and If anyone wants to sell me a laptop drop me a mail ;)
> >>
> >> thanks for your help in advance peeps and as I've just found the forum
> >> and the website you can expect to see a lot more of me in future.

I can highly recommend anything by IBM, they are amazingly well built
peices of kit, have full linux support, and work very nicely.

I have an IBM 240 laptop which you can get on ebay these days for about
50 quid. Its 10" x 8" x 1" and it fits perfectly in my handbag, so its
definately portable. Its taken alot of abuse, including being stood on
and cycled over. Well made laptop. Its not the most powerful machine on
the planet tho, it has a 300Mhz Celeron, but its more than enough for
vi, ssh, mozilla, openoffice, etc... I have even done Electronics CAD on
it a couple of years ago when I was at ESA, but I wouldn't describe it
as the most pleasurable experience.

HTH

Julia