[Klug-general] You can't dis apple!

J D Freeman klug at quixotic.org.uk
Tue Dec 19 12:07:37 GMT 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 11:50:24AM +0000, Karl Lattimer wrote:

> > 1) 1 mouse button
> Two finger tap

Cos thats intuative. You really think, Now, how do I write click? Oh, i
know lets use both fingers.

> > 2) Track pad rather than nipple
> Nipples are highly inaccurate and require buttons to facilitate clicks,
> this is a big RSI no no on a laptop thats why you rarely if ever see
> nipples any more on laptops.

Nipples are actually surprisingly accurate IMHO, And yes, you need
buttons, which is why you have atleast TWO buttons on the laptop.

> > 3) to big
>
> 13" is too big, Funny, my laptop is smaller than every other standard
> size laptop i've seen, with standard size == 15"

See comment about my 240, 10" x 8" x 1", fits in my handbag. It is very
light weight and very portable.

> > 4) designed to run MacOS X, which I don't like
>
> No its designed to boot from EFI and run any EFI enabled OS, that
> currently limits it to Linux and OSX because m$ hasn't cottoned on yet.
> However bootcamp has a bootloader which emulates BIOS which is nice.

Yes, but it is designed for OSX, if it was designed for linux, it would
have atleast a second mouse button.

> > 5) built more for eye candy than use IMHO
>
> Yes, it is humble, come back and tell me that after 6 months using apple
> products

I couldn't use them for 6 hours without wanting to throw the machine out
the window.

> > 6) White - WHY GOD WHY? Black is much nicer :p
> Also available in Black

What, even on the base model? or do you have to pay extra for a choice
of black?

> > 7) There was a 7th reason then the phone rang and I can't remember what
> > I was going to write.
>
> Probably because your argument is without any substance?

Its an argument largely driven by taste, there is no substance. This
debate will rage for abit, then we all agree its all about taste, agree
to disagreee, and meet for a pint in a pub somewhere. Happens on most
LUG lists from time to time.

> > 8) Saying anything against a mac makes my housemate squirm.
> Brilliant reason.

Oh, it is. :p

> Have you used beryl? It is incredible productivity improving usable eye
> candy. Eye candy is not useless, it is incredibly important to the
> future of the desktop.

What, prey tell, is beryl?

Now, explain to me how the eye candy helps the desktop experience? I
find that wasting 20 pixels on a title bar, is a waste of 20 pixels I
could use to get an extra 2 rows on my xterm. I find not having a menu
bar at the top constantly means I can overlay one window over another,
and use the one on the bottom without screwing things up (the joy of
focus follows mouse). And finding a menu at the top of the window it
relates to is much much more intuative.

> Auto hide? Which DOESN'T screw up like windows autohide startbar or
> autohide panel in gnome.

Auto hide. Why is this not the default then?

> Skinable, and more screal estate is available because of the lack of
> menu bars for each application. Also most UI elements are way better
> designed than Gnome/KDE and it has more polish than an antique walnut
> desk.

Yes, get rid of a menu bar on everything, and stick a title bar on it.
My xterm doesn't have a menu bar, so I save over 40 pixels on it. On an
800x600 screen, thats alot.

> > I use EvilWM as my window mangler of choice, I use vi for
> > my editor. There may be a connection.
> Yes, medieval ages.

"What people mean when they say "Legacy Applications" is "Stuff That
Works."
        -- David Chappell in an open lecture at UKC on MS .NET"

Yes it may seem medieval. BUT, vi works on my phone, my laptop, my
desktop, my router, my cluster in london, my machine in slovakia, my
footrest, my machine in ireland, my machine in the US, my machine in
amsterdam, my sun box in the lounge, my switch, my door stop. IT WORKS.
That cannot be said for these modern apps.

Once you break out of the mantra of one, you find that alot of the old
stuff from the bad ole days of unix make amazing levels of sense.

> > Anyway, this is going off topic. Back to how great IBM laptops are :p
>
> Slate and run... Very good.

Oh, I am happy to continue, I just don't want to annoy people by going
totally off topic on the first thread I have contributed too.