[Klug-general] If RPM based distros wanted to change...

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Tue Dec 19 15:05:37 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 01:54 +1100, George Prowse wrote:
> If RPM based distros wanted to change to something like apt or similar
> would you support it? It is a known fact that the apt system is better
> but is RPM so entrenched in distros that no-one would consider changing?
> Do you see it more as a "if it aint broke, don't fix it" scenario?

deb is good but is != apt, apt runs rpm on redhat too. I think the point
we need to consider here is how entrenched it is and take that as a hint
to make rpm better rather than globally adopt deb. For instance the
build specifications for RPM are easier for non developers to work with
than deb.

deb has way better dependency handling but RPM is improving over time.

> What about LSB, is RPM still a requirement for it?

I think the requirement was always _A_ package manager of a selection.
rpm/deb I think are both in there I might be wrong though.

k,