[Klug-general] KLUG IRC

Dan Attwood danattwood at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 16 11:15:31 BST 2006

Alan was kind enough to set an IRC channel for the KLUG and also send
through some instructions and links to help people use it which I've
included below

He also sent me a link to a load of video lectures given by Hampshire lug
members that are worth checking out;
http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?q=hampshire+linux+user+group

KLUG IRC - irc.lug.org.uk / #klug <http://irc.lug.org.uk/>

There is no agenda as such, discussions are generally free-form and
civilised. You can of course also join and 'idle' in the channel and watch
the animals in the 'zoo' perform (if you're truly that bored). Come visit us
when ever you feel like it!

Popular IRC clients (linked below) include XChat, gaim, irssi and EPIC
on Unix, and XChat & gaim under windows. There's also a Java based IRC
client.

Once opened, most IRC clients should allow you to connect and join us
with the commands "/server irc.lug.org.uk" and "/join #klug". More
documentation is linked below for more of these commands. Many GUI based
IRC clients also have a point and click interface which means you may
not even have to use the commands if they scare you.

For those of you stuck behind nasty corporate proxies and firewalls
there is also CGI:IRC which allows access to IRC via a standard web
browser and HTTP.

Here are some links to help you get started with IRC.

Linux/Unix

 http://www.xchat.org/
  http://www.irssi.org/
 http://www.epicsol.org/
  http://gaim.sf.net/

Windows

 http://www.psyon.org/projects/xchat-win32/index.php
 http://www.silverex.org/download/
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Chat#Unofficial_Versions_and_Builds
 http://gaim.sourceforge.net/win32/index.php

Java

 http://jircii.hick.org/jircii/

CGI:IRC

  http://cgiirc.blitzed.org/

Documentation

 http://www.xchat.org/docs/ - XChat specific documentation
 http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/new2irc.html - General IRC help
 http://wiki.blitzed.org/New_users - Getting started
 http://wiki.edubuntu.org/XChatHowto (great how-to on connecting for the
first time)

 Any problems then just post on the mailing list
See you there!
Dan