[Klug-general] KLUG IRC

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Jul 25 22:09:18 BST 2006

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 09:07:32PM +0100, Colin_The_Technician wrote:
> To help new users connect to IRC I created a short screencast demo
> about how to connect to IRC in Ubuntu using GAIM.

Content is fantastic. Like it.

> Watch it streaming here
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zooiLKgGCpg

Oh dear, flash. Now of course you know you should be using free formats.
Flash is evil mmkay? Think of the AMD64 people who can't see this.

> Or download higher quality here
> http://www.binarysignal.org/video/connecting_to_irc_in_ubuntu.wmv (9.5mb)

Yikes! WMV! It gets worse! :(

Using a tool such as ffmpeg2theora you might be able to  convert this to
ogg/theora .

> Unfortunately Windows was used in the making of this screencast, but I
> was unharmed.

Naughty naughty. :)

> Let me know what you think?  Comments, praise and criticism welcomed.

Have you tried Istanbul? It records direct to ogg/theora.

Cheers,
Al.