[Klug-general] eSATA

Stuart Buckland stuart at nightime.org.uk
Fri Jun 9 23:46:03 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 19:12 +0100, Karl Lattimer wrote:

> > Like everything that particular issue can be overcome by good design.
> > In some parts of the country the company I work for have shelves with 14
> > SATA drives without any issues from heat.  Granted they are in well
> > maintained data centres.  Those are well beyond my budget to replace NAS
> > setup at home though.
>
> external enclosures imply just that, an enclosed space where the drive
> resides. drives cannot be effectively passively cooled because of how
> hot they get, if you use passive cooling i.e. hot air rising draws in
> air from the bottom of the chassis as in the Apple G4 cube there will be
> localised points of heat which will damage the drives eventually. If you
> use an active cooling system as simple as fans it will be noisy, if you
> use a heat pipe between the drives you'll probably get away with it. if
> you use a peltier then again could work, depending on the type of
> peltier, an air circulatory peltier is impossible, but a diode type may
> succeed. Basically you need a simple heat exchanger, if that is as
> simple as replacing the air once every second or as complicated as a
> heat pipe moving the heat elsewhere for cooling you need some cooling if
> you're gonna pack them tightly. If you do find an enclosure in that case
> I'd suggest ensuring it has adequate cooling.

I don't think I ever mentioned anything at all about cooling or noise.
I thought I simply asked if anyone had encountered a reasonably priced
enclosure.

> > I'd be surprised if SATA drives are any hotter than PATA or SCSI drives
> > but I can't say I've ever bothered looking into it.
>
> It isn't necessarily SATA disks that get hotter,

The only reason I said that was because you said a bunch of SATA disks
will get hot.  I took that to imply other types of disks don't get as
hot.  Guess I misunderstood.

> I hope this overzealous brain dump of hard drive information is helpful,
> even if its just a single sentence in amongst the rest.

Not terribly helpful but thanks for the response anyway.

It isn't a case of not knowing what I'm doing but more a case of having
been working with medium-to-enterprise size kit for the past 6 years I'm
out of touch with the lower end of the market.  I simply thought with
the diversity of people using linux in a variety of situations somebody
may have come across something.

I'll keep hunting.

Thanks
Stu