[Klug-general] Laptop Linux

gaukrogi at schaf.plus.com gaukrogi at schaf.plus.com
Tue Mar 7 22:27:28 GMT 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 04:49:23PM +0000, Nathan Friend wrote:
> Hi all,
> I want to install a lightweight distro on my old Toshiba 500cdt laptop.  The
> bios doesn't have a boot from CD option so I'm forced to use floppy disks to
> get in.

> Any ideas?

btmgr.webframe.org - Smart Boot Manager - Allows you to boot with a
floppy and then select the cdrom drive to boot from.

There are Linux and DOS friendly install downloads on the website though
I tend to use the .bin file and rawrite as provided on disc 1 of the
Debian install CD's, but that's me :-).

I think, though I haven't done it myself, that you can put it on a
floppy and install it onto your harddrive.  So if you can either have
the floppy or the cdrom drive connected at any one time, you'll be able
to start with Smart Boot Manager from the harddrive and then boot with
the cdrom ... I think.

hth,

Ifor