[Klug-general] Mode Connection

Karl Lattimer karl at nncc.info
Sun May 7 18:17:40 BST 2006

On 7 May 2006, at 17:57, Peter Apps wrote:

> I've finally got around to getting Broadband. Since I seem to have
> acquired 3 BT Voyager 105 modems I thought I would start off using
> one.

How exactly does one acquire 3?

> Network Device Control in my FC5 system doesn't seem to configure USB
> modems - only Ethernet connections.

A quick google turns up this, http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/index.php?
lang=en&id=172

looks like you use the eciadsl driver and firmware. The reason that
no USB ADSL modems and in fact most ADSL modems aren't supported by
fedora out of the box is purely because of licensing issues. The same
issues which prevent microsoft from shipping drivers for these
devices. Fedora/Redhat play it careful with this kind of thing and
its best to do so when you're a major distributer.

It looks like the modem is supported, but it may be difficult to set
up. I will help if I can as I have lots of experience with PPPoA,
PPPoE and ADSL on fedora. The plus points here is that fedora ship a
kernel with PPPoA support (which is most likely what you'll be using)
and they also ship a version of PPP which supports PPPoA. Lots of
distributions still don't do this and it makes it hard to configure
ADSL modems without it.

Once you have the driver installed it shouldn't be too difficult to
configure, bare in mind I've only ever setup ADSL on the command line
but it should go something like this, once you've added the driver in
(it may be available from a yum repository) goto system ->
administration -> new xDSL connection -> if the driver is loaded it
should appear in the ethernet device list. However as I've never used
the GUI i can't be sure.

Alternative configuration requires a little hacking with /etc/ppp
scripts and configurations, a small ppp-on/off script and various
other gubbins which doesn't take too long.

If you still can't get it working, then try a connexant ADSL modem,
they work pretty well or alternatively a Sangoma S518 is an expensive
but perfect solution.

Hope this helps

K,