[Klug-general] Adsl Modem Connection

Peter Apps peter at sheppey.free-online.co.uk
Tue May 9 17:58:39 BST 2006

I tried the commands you gave but kept getting 'unrecognised wireless
request. Digging through my books again as well as Apropos I tried
ifconfig instead of iwconfig and everything seemed OK. I haven't got the
two computers to talk to each other yet but it can wait until I've got
Adsl installed. Too many jobs at the same  time.

In answer to your question, your answer was  useful because it gave
precise addresses and commands and so provided a clear starting point.

I always appreciate help,
Peter.

These are the basic commands for interrogating the ethernet interfaces,
        getting dem to share internet on a network with no dhcp server.

        On each computer ensure ethernet card is working:
        #mii-tool
        Will give an indication of status for most network cards, look
at the
        output for the name of the card. Probably "eth0".
        #ethtool eth0
        will give much more detailed information on the card including
duplex,
        speed, WOL, connection status.
        #iwconfig eth0 192.168.1.10 up netmask 255.255.255.0
        Sets the cards network address. Use 192.168.1.11 on the second
computer
        #iwconfig eth0 192.168.1.11 up netmask 255.255.255.0
        Then
        #ping 192.168.1.10 from the second
        from computer 2 if you get replies, you are connected!

        I asume then, you want one of them ( 192.168.1.10) to use the
ADSL and
        share internet access with the rest of the network. First
establish the
        name of the adsl network device. Usually "ppp0". Use these
commandz to
        set up port forwarding:
        #/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
        #echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/Ipv4/ip_forward
        (the directory differs slightly in diffent distros, but
basically you
        need the ip_forward file)

        Then on any other computers on the network, use:
        #route add default gateway 192.168.1.10
        You may need to set the DNS server on them. Use your ISPs
nameserver, or:
        #echo "nameserver 4.2.2.1" > /etc/resolv.conf

        Alternatively you could wander round the gui network config
dialogs
        getting mouse-ache, finding the boxes that fit the information
above
        (except the iptables bit), pressing Apply and waiting around a
lot. In
        the end you get the same job done.

        I am new here so unsure if this article is of any use to anyone,
if so
        let me know I will write a fuller one for the klug site.

        Alan

        PS: (This 4.2.2.1 is a public nameserver, I note it belongs to
"level 3
        communications". Thats funny, Level 3 are owned by playboy
magazine...
        whatever that means ;)