[Klug-general] Shiny new things: TFTs, keyboards and wacom tablets

Allen Brooker allen at allenjb.me.uk
Thu May 18 17:52:14 BST 2006

Hi all,

I've just taken delivery of my shiny new TFT, which installed after a
bit of messing with modelines (I couldn't find any for this BenQ FP71V
monitor, and the ones I generated using the available online generators
also failed - I ended up copying one from my previous CRT monitor which
worked. It seems BenQ also neglected to put in anything EDID related,
which meant my nvidia drivers had no idea at all about it). Another
drawback is this particular monitor doesn't have the ability to increase
the stands height, so I'm currently using my CRT monitor stand with a
view to find a more TFT sized replacement. I probably wouldn't recommend
this monitor to others, but it was a relatively cheap one.

I also got my first USB keyboard, which after enabling legacy support in
the kernel worked without a hitch (although I'm still getting used to
the layout as it's one of the compressed layout types - a Trust Slimline
- but the key response is absolutely excellent).

And my final new toy is a wacom volito 2 tablet. This, to my amazement,
works straight off after simply adding the appropiate kernel module.

Allen