[Klug-general] open xchange

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Wed Nov 8 09:10:41 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 21:31 +0000, Keith Edmunds wrote:

> Karl Lattimer wrote:
>
> > maildir is a terrible way to store email,
>
> I'd be interested to know why you think that (and what mail storage
> method you would recommend).

Its a file on disc or collection of files which have no fast searchable
index no redundancy, isn't active in memory all the time and generally
is a fairly old fashioned way of storing email. DB4 provides a far more
impressive way of storing message headers in a fast to load, fast to
search, redundant index way.

I would love to know what kind of disk lag you have for people who all
store their mail on the same server using maildir as a storage format.
I'd assume as soon as you get to around 100+ users and around 5k
messages per person the disk would be under such heavy load that all
users suffer as a result.

Especially when someone sends a message to everyone with some office
junk file thats 2Mb in size. I'm sure you'd agree that maildir is a
really bad way of storing email.

K,