[Klug-general] Re: interoperability

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 20:43:06 GMT 2006

Completely off topic but isn't firefox2's spell checker useful?

Nothing wrong with this at all, Unless you are Richard Stallman and
the big issue there is that this involves communicating with a system
with privately owned code.
Heterogeneous networking is something that is in more and more system
administrators remit. I'm working on a system (that you can all see
next weekend) in Rochester running Microsoft windows 2003 servers, XP
pro, Ubuntu (just got it authenticating after Debian played up) and
Mac OS X (I didn't want the macs to be honest).

The aim is good and in theory not too hard for good developers.
However there is a wall from companies like Microsoft who don't
release details of how their network protocols work to slow everybody
down.

As I said you will hopefully be able to see my system in Rochester...
I think its this Saturday.
Is there anything wrong, in principal, with interoperability between
micro$haft and Linux?
for example, centeris could manage micro$haft and linux machines in a
mixed network, whilst some of the Novell developers had probably
already started working on seamless management of multiple operating
systems in 1995! Why have the open source samba development team given
the thumbs up to centeris? Let's also consider that the LPI level 3
exams (301 & 302) featured a considerable number of questions related
to micro$haft server management, such as configurations of micro$haft
directories and protocols for cross platform authentication. IBM have
takeen interoperability a step further by testing and demonstrating
the simultaneous use of multiple operating systems (Solaris 10, AIX,
Unix BSD etc.) on their power server (such as the i series), on the
basis that a system administrator could stretch the capacity of
hardware to an unprecedented maximum within a mixed network
environment.
Email: james.snyder at linuxmail.org