[Klug-general] Please remind me

Michael. E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 16 15:37:24 BST 2006

G'day all,

Having now tried Mandriva 2007 hot off the mirrors I am so disappointed
I've binned it and installed PCLinuxOS instead. I find it to be exactly
what I want and recommend it for anyone just using Linux on a desktop
system to run a small business.

Now I want to try and get my Epson scsi scanner working. It has never
worked since Mandriva 2006 arrived (but it did before that!) and I had
thought that system deficient. However, the same problem occurs in
PCLinuxOS.

Yesterday I spent the whole morning cutting and fiddling with the
various sane config files and just before Sunday lunch my scanner began
to work properly as required. Wonderful! Switched it all off and went to
lunch and didn't use it again that day.

Started it this morning and it don't work. I noticed during my cutting
and pasting that links I had created don't survive a reboot. I thought I
would make  a link called /dev/scanner to point at /dev/sg0 which is the
scanner port. I'd thought that all these problems were possibly due to
wrongly set permissions.

I used konqueror's facility to make the link and it seemed to go in, but
after many reboots I kept losing it. So Itried using console input 'sl
/dev/sg /dev/scanner'. That seemed to work but it too didn't survive a
reboot. Baffled.

Can someone enlighten me as to whether there a special parameter I must
enter with sl to ensure whatever link is created is permanent?

Having got this scanner to work for the first time in 2 years under
Linux, and then to have lost it again is more than irritating. Any help
on the sl input (or any other advice) would probably help. Ta.

Mike Rentell
in Folkestone