[Klug-general] Xgl on SUSE Linux

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Wed Oct 18 16:41:24 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 16:24 +0100, Nathan Friend wrote:
> Hello,
> Any KLUG'ers installed XGL on SUSE?  I used
> http://en.opensuse.org/Using_Xgl_on_SUSE_Linux to get it working on
> SUSE enterprise 10.  Only thing is the rain effect doesn't seem to do
> anything.  Everything else is OK.
>
> I'll bring my PC along to the next meet in Dover if anyone is
> interested...

Try beryl instead of compiz for a start, beryl has some wicked crazy and
sick effects.

Next thing, you need GL_ARB_fragment_program for water effects to work,
if you do a glxinfo | grep fragment it should pop up, if it doesn't then
you need to play with your GL driver. So things you need to know are
what graphics card version, which driver although I imagine GL is
working. You'll need to do some testing with all of this, however it may
just come down to the fact you have a very old version of compiz. In
which case beryl will sort your problems out anyway as it has that
effect and much much much more, blur on transparency, animated
minimize/maximize/open/close, motion blur, reflections, corner hot zones
for cube flipping (FINALLY!!!) including the emerald theme engine
(replaces cgwd). So if you really really want, you can make your desktop
look like vista (I'd recommend against it as its just god aweful)

Some other Xgl/Aiglx tips,

* Set your video output device to X11 (no XV) and it'll render faster
with fewer defects on widgets.
* If you have Xorg 7.1 turn on Aiglx instead of Xgl, its faster and
better than Xgl
* If you have a nvidia card, there are hacks available to enable FSAA
and vsync in Xgl/Aiglx
http://forum.beryl-project.org/topic-2613-fsaa-sync2vblank-aniso-filtering-nvidia-only

Hope this helps,

K,