[Klug-general] compix/XGL/AIGLX/Beryl by default?

Karl Latimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Tue Apr 10 14:54:08 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 14:36 +0100, Dan Attwood wrote:
> groocy gecko gets my vote - at it will probably by eye candy enabled

Spanky Monkey?

> There is some of the beryl stuff in feisty, but only the cube i think.
> There's desktop effects link in one the menus. I use full beryl though
> as it's easy to set up - like karl says though it is a bit buggy.

Yeah, compiz = weeble, it wobbles but doesn't fall down geddit... beryl
= twin towers (is it too early to joke about that).

The best thing thats happening at present as far as I can see is that
compiz has restructured a little to create compiz core. On top of compiz
core there will be additional plugins which are beryl in origin, for
instance the wall plugin an apple spaces clone, which is in itself a
clone of unix workspaces with bling,
http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/spaces.html

Of course there are lots of other cool plugins which are being imported
to make the desktop more usable and generally cooler... Of course all
this stuff is just glitter, although offloading the rendering of the
desktop to a GL capable card apparently as far as some list members are
concerned does nothing to improve performance there are obvious
advantages when the rendering is fast as hell. Even if you don't enable
the actual visual effects.

Thanks to the democratic nature of dave reveman and quinnstorm the
projects are pulling back together, also it looks like the metacity
visual effects have come to a standstill/stop I think at this point
we're far more likely to see metacity code being merged into compiz.

Matisse looks cool too, focused purely on usability and has some
features which shame compiz into a corner, chances are the concepts in
matisse will be merged into compiz too, simply because it is becoming
the defacto standard for window managers. Leaving metacity to legacy
applications only.

K,