[Klug-general] Debian 4.0 released

Shish shish at shishnet.org
Wed Apr 11 02:05:02 BST 2007

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 02:07:36PM +0100, George Prowse wrote:
> > Gentoo from Debian? They have nothing in common whatsoever.
>
> Linux kernel,
> gnu tools
> unix like
> etc...
>
> A nice sweeping statement, and I see the point you are trying to make,
> but you have entirely failed to actually consider what is actually the
> same in them (which is quite alot).

They both have the same foundations, but the things that make debian
debianny (eg dpkg, apt), and the things that make gentoo gentooey (eg
portage, their init scripts) are unrelated.

If you count the foundations as part of the distro, then they have a
lot in common; if you say the distro is the house on top, then they're
totally different~

    -- Shish