[Klug-general] Debian 4.0 released

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Wed Apr 11 22:42:25 BST 2007

james snyder wrote:
> ndiswrapper 2.6.18 on xandros desktop 4 (a Debian based distro) recognizes pcmia wireless and instantly connects laptops to wireless networks without even requiring drivers, configuration or installs, where other distros have failed. why?

Ndiswrapper does of course require (Windows) drivers - it may just not
require them of you because the distro contains a selection of the most
common ones.  I presume that's how it works.  I installed Mandrake (when
it was Mandrake) on my laptop some years ago and it did that too,
although it was much happier with the windows drivers from my card's CD.

I added ndiswraper to Fedora Core 4 and it worked fine.  I thought I
would have to do the same when I moved to core 6, but it came with a
native driver for my card (a Lynksys card based on the Broadcom chipset)
which it turned out worked fine.  In fact I am currently using it to
communicate X over SSH to my desktop machine which is my email host and
where I am running Thunderbird, and from there to the outside world.
(Well the KLUG mailing list at least.)

I guess the answer to 'why?' is simply that certain things are more
important to the developers of certain distros than others.  I once read
a comment on a bulletin board that said "Please would someone buy
laptops for all the impoverished Kernel hackers so that they focus more
attention on getting hibernation and wireless to work". S/he had a point.

Mike