[Klug-general] VMWare Workstation - installation

Mike Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Mon Dec 3 12:08:01 GMT 2007

Dan Attwood wrote:
> you might find that with vmware server you'll need to download the
> 'vmware anyany' patch which can be found by searching their forums. it's
> an unofficial patch which helps to install onto systems where the lib
> files are were expected - I believe vmware server is built of red hat
> which is the reason some systems need the patch. I used to have to use
> it for ubuntu fiesty but with gutsy it's not a problem.

Belated thanks for that advice Dan. It always seems that there is some
hidden tweak needed to get things working just right.

In the meantime I have managed to get VirtualBox to run and have loaded
XP which works fine. But I still have the original problem of all the
USBs are greyed-out. The biggest problem is not having printers. But the
shared file function works OK and I have Adobe Acrobat so any Windows
program needing print facilities is printed to .pdf on the shared
folder. Then I can simply click to the Linux screen and print that. It
works, it is a bit of a niggle, but at least I don't have to reboot
every time I want to see the Sage accounts.

MikeR
Folkestone