[Klug-general] The Android Developer Challenge will award $10 million to developers who build great apps for Android

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Fri Dec 7 13:33:22 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 12:34 +0000, George Prowse wrote:
> Karl Lattimer wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 11:37 +0000, Stephen Ryan wrote:
> >> Hi, thought this link might be of interest to KLUG members. For developers
> >> who want to get their hands dirty with building google apps on mobile etc..
> >>
> >> http://code.google.com/android/
> >>
> >> Also appears to run on Zaurus on Linux
> >> http://euedge.com/blog/2007/12/06/google-android-runs-on-sharp-zaurus-sl-c76
> >> 0/
> >>

> > Android isn't an SDK its a platform, you don't use it to build apps for
> > phones, its used to power the phones and provide an SDK for software
> > running on the platform.
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm6Ju0xhUW8
> >
> > K,
> >

> I think Motorola is going to be using it at some point in the future;
> does anyone know when though? How viable (e.g. close) is it in a
> timescale to be deployable?

>From what I've heard its going to be about a year before the first
android handset becomes available.

> I want it to annihilate Apple's iPhone
> because it's rubbish.

LOL, don't be stupid, the iphone is the best bloody product out there,
it has a software stack that kicks the arse of android (core image, core
audio, core animation, quartz extreme, quartz compositor, among many
other apple APIs). The user interface has been 2 1/2 years in
development and shows how much attention to detail apple have paid, soon
it'll get 3G, GPS and MMS support and then it'll be mainstream in
europe.

iPhone is good, there is no denying it, I haven't seen any valid
criticism which isn't already on a time table for redress. The open
source world can't produce something like this, especially not in the
time frame allowed. I mean FCS we're still trying to get a single
direction and combined effort behind open compositing and yet there are
no HIG guidelines for compositing yet, this is now 2 years old! Apple
did this 8 years ago!

I wouldn't criticise this breakthrough product until you can at least
write some cool bling in cairo or clutter and realise that the effort is
far beyond what anyone else can produce right now, even google.

K,