[Klug-general] The Android Developer Challenge will award $10 million to developers who build great apps for Android

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Fri Dec 7 16:15:29 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 16:11 +0000, Karl Buckland wrote:
> Karl Lattimer wrote:
> > I did find one, but it didn't have a full timeline of all products, its
> > possible Archos did get a product out but didn't succeed in marketing it
> > to the public.
> >
> > If you can spot anything counter to that I'll stand corrected.
> >
> Wikipedia does support you:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp3_player
>
> Compaq released a device in 1998/1999. Apple released the 5Gb iPod in
> October 2001. Archos followed up in 2002.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6450_7-5622055-1.html

"Here comes the irony: In 1998, Compaq's engineers made the first
hard-drive-based MP3 player and licensed it to a Korean company (Hango)
that didn't do much with it. In 2001, the first iPod came out."

Compaq failed to capitalise on the market and didn't push the device in
any advertising, I'd say they were the first to release, but they didn't
market the device.

K,