[Klug-general] Fedora 8

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Fri Dec 7 16:26:06 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 16:21 +0000, George Prowse wrote:
> Karl Buckland wrote:
> > George Prowse wrote:
> >> Can I just suggest to people here that are thinking of trying the new
> >> Fedora to download it from the mirrors (I used the Uni of Kent one)
> >> because I have had problems with the torrent versions, 2 failed to
> >> install.
> >>
> > That's strange because Bittorrent uses checksums on each chunk of the
> > file as they are transferred. A direct HTTP download has much more
> > chance of becoming corrupted.
> >
> > Did the checksum of the ISO check out ok?
> >

> Unfortunately I just used the Nautilus cd burner which doesn't check it,
> I should have used k3b. I do get the feeling that it was a problem that
> was released with the release though.

Nautilus CD burner also doesn't support burn proof buffer under run
prevention.

Were you doing anything else with your computer at the time that used
some cpu time? That would cause nautilus to break the disc. AFAIK this
bug popped up in nautilus around the 2.14 release of GNOME, I believe
its related to libburn but can't be sure right now.

For the record, torrents worked fine for me, both the i386 and x86_64
install DVDs and the Fedora i386 live CD.

K,