[Klug-general] Fedora 8

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Sun Dec 9 21:36:40 GMT 2007

> When is GTK going to get a burner in the same league as k3b? I'd love a
> G3b :)

Well I decided to give Core 8 a go.  I downloaded the CD live version on
FTP and checked out the checksum with shda1sum.  I burned it to an
unbranded cheapo disk I had (using k3b, running under Gnome on Fedora
Core 6) and when I tried to boot from it I got errors about a bad block.
  I put this down to my cheapo CD-Rs and bought a fresh back at WHSmith.
  I re-burned the image in half the time the next evening so I reckoned
that the old disks just needed chucking.  Then I booted from the new
one.  I got the same bad block message (the same block even) in the same
place.  However it did go ahead and boot in the end.  Go figure.

Anyway I had a nice play so I installed it to a spare partition on my
laptop and all went well.  Had a lovely evening getting the bcm43xx
wireless driver working.  (Had to go get it from various sites rather
than the nice "just click here to install something bad for you"
approach of Ubuntu)  Then I spent an amazing amount of time playing with
the visual effects of wobbly windows and the cubic desktop.  Then I
tried to shut down and the 'puter hung.  Seems like the same prob I've
been having with Ubuntu on either shutdown or logout or switch user.
Pain in the neck.  So undignified having to force a power-down.  Anybody
got any ideas on how I can trace or step-through the shutdown sequence
bit by bit to see where it goes wrong?

Mike