[Klug-general] Open Source Petition @ No 10 Website

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Mon Feb 26 14:08:18 GMT 2007

Interesting proposition.  I was just about to sign it and then I started
thinking.

So we think that software written to drive defence mechanisms should be
available for all to download on the Internet?  As a Quaker I would love
to live in a world where this was not an issue.  What a pity that the
statement is not more carefully worded.

Like many in the Open Source community I am saddened and irritated by
our government's use of proprietary software and data formats, and the
assumption that I will use it also.  I receive disks from the tax office
which would help my business which are useless as they assume that I run
MS Windows or a Mac OS.  Video and audio information on government
websites is encoded using formats that I cannot access with open source
codecs.

Equally, I know that there are times when software is developed or
redeveloped unnecessarily.  This even happens in the open source
community - but it is truly regrettable that systems developed
internally by one hospital are not freely available to another.  It is
possible that requiring some form of open licence would encourage
behaviour resulting in considerable cost saving to the taxpayer.  (i.e. me!)

Is it churlish of me to think that Stephen Hill would gain more support
- including mine - if he had been just a little more careful with his
wording?  (To say nothing of his spelling.)

Mike