[Klug-general] Linux and Vista

Margot margot at lawrence1961.f9.co.uk
Tue Feb 27 14:44:20 GMT 2007

Michael. E. Rentell wrote:

> Also, I've posted my response above Alan's query. Is that considered bad
> netiquette? That was new to me when I saw a flame here the other day. I
> will try and change that practice if folks feel aggrieved.
>
> Mike R
> in Folkestone

Top-posting is evil ;-)

On a relatively quiet list (like this one) it isn't too bad, but on
a very busy list it is extremely annoying having to read the answer
first and then scroll down to find out which of the day's 600
messages you were actually responding to!

Several popular email clients automatically place the cursor at the
top of the incoming message in the reply window - so the uninitiated
assume that they should start typing where the cursor is. Actually,
the placement of the cursor at the top is a feature that is intended
to make it easy for you to scroll down the incoming message,
snipping out irrelevant parts before you type your reply at the bottom.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/B/bottom-post.html

--
Margot