[Klug-general] Re: Kent Digest, Vol 109, Issue 5

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 16:53:39 GMT 2007

> Message: 9
> Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:48:27 +0000
> From: Mike <mike at csits.net>
> Subject: Re: [Klug-general] Social skills
> To: Kent Linux User Group - General Topics <kent at mailman.lug.org.uk>
>
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 02:49:45PM +0000, J D Freeman wrote:
> > It has been mentioned a few times that the lug should have a social
> > side. And so I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to see
> > what sort of things people would like to do. I will open up the floor
> > with the following few suggestions:
> >
> > 1 - Piss up in a brewery - cos they say geeks can't organise a...
> >
> > 2 - Lug BBQ - something to do in the summer me thinks
> >
> > 3 - Lug LAN party - Book a venue for a weekend long nonstop gaming event
> >
> > 4 - LUG Xmas Meal - This should be held not at xmas, as its a pain to
> > organise then and prices go up around xmas.
> >
> > 5 - Lug picnic - Another one for the summer
> >
> > 6 - Lug day out - Blechley park has been suggested
>
> These all sounds very good and I'd be happy to attend.
>
> I would suggest merging the LAN party and the BBQ together.
>
> I also like the paintballing suggestion.
>
> I'll post anything else that I can think of, as I think of it.
>
> Mike.
One idea for LAN party BBQ.
Well In Rochester (saves me moving anywhere) we have some garden space
both patio and grass.
And a room full of computers and network points so for some games we
can use college machines or ones that people bring along.

Paintballing sounds like a good event to aim for. Who is going to give
organizing it a shot?

Are we going to invite (sorry if this sounds sexist) the WaGs?

I like the idea of doing a trip to look at big computers also.

On a slightly separate note. How about an OSS LAN event. With the
commercial backing of a local venue serving food/drink. Think about
it, advertise the word of OSS, advertise the LUG and have fun.
There is a local internet caffee to me. It may be good for their
business and advertising the word of Linux to use their facilities for
hosting an entirely OSS LAN gaming competition.
They provide hardware & network
We provide a live OSS Gaming CD (money spinner for us/caffe)

to cover costs (caffe normally charges £1 per hour i think for
computer use) you could organize a prize fund for each game.
£1 a person to enter competition
50% of total to venue
50% of total to winner

What do you think of this idea?