[Klug-general] top-posting

Mike mike at csits.net
Wed Feb 28 16:33:51 GMT 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 08:06:51PM +0000, Margot wrote:
> Breaking threads is usually not deliberate - it mostly happens when
> someone uses email software that doesn't handle threading properly,
> and/or when the original post in a thread is deleted after being
> read so that subsequent "forks" in the replies then show as separate
> threads.

Having become more active on busy mailing lists over the years, I can confirm that the worst offenses are:

* Starting a new thread to reply to an existing thread
* Starting a new thread by replying to an existing thread

This really breaks trying to following the threads and often may people will either flame you or just delete the thread.

Top posting isn't quite so bad in threads but it still makes email a pita.

A lot of the busyier mailing lists will simply flame, ignore or ban people for thread abuse and top posting.  This may seem a bit arsey but if you read a lot of email, it really makes things difficult if people don't play by the rules.

Mike.