[Klug-general] Web Scripting Languages

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 08:33:00 GMT 2007

I think this covers much of the same ideas as a previous thread I
started so that might be worth taking a look at to see if any
conclusions were brought there.

I'm also intrested in the answers but here is my 2pence now.

Personally its all depends on where you come from ie what you know,
whats you already have. and whats available to you. If you are using a
Web Hosting Firm your options will be more limited than if you have a
DIY approach which you have more control over.

If I were you go for one of the big standard solutions probably either
PHP or Java, as this is likly to be most portable if you need to
change hosting environment in the future. Also try to pick one that
has been specially adapted for the Web Environment unlike CGI which is
just a way of plugging you favourte language into the web.

Also look at how the whole thing works together your probably going to
use some Javascript and some of the ideas of AJAX if only to improve
the user interface and not need to reinvent the wheel.

You may also want to look at what else is being used like CMS etc.

Peter Childs