[Klug-general] RE: [JOB] Network security software developer

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 12:58:56 GMT 2007

Sorry about the talking too much (i got carried away on one of the
rare occasions I get a lunch break) but...
First I didn't realize there were any companies using Linux in
Rochester (other than what I have set up where I work).

I'd be interested in the job but my experience in code is low since
all i have done for the past year and a half is teach the basics. At
uni my experience level in C++ (no too dissimilar from C) was
reasonable writing a couple of things in it (including a very simple
web server) and SQL (I did the basics).

Working in education does have its rewards (and drawbacks) but I'm
interested in branching out (I never intended to go into education).
My main professional background is in network management and my site
http://www.david-halliday.co.uk has some notes on my getting windows
and Linux to work together.

I'm interested in branching out "into industry" (as it is referred to
by people working in education) but at the same time I'm comfortable
in education and don't want to "jump out of the frying pan and into
the fire".

For those who don't know me I'm a 23 year old Computer Science
graduate (2:1) from the university of Hertfordshire. Who following a
successful placement as a technician has been taken on as a full time
head of IT department (I'm responsible for all planning, teaching
etc... of GCSEs and A levels plus lower school basic ICT literacy
stuff) and network admin (fixing things, user management, support
etc...).

CV wise I'd describe myself as (sick bags on standby) a motivated,
hard working person with a passion for my field of expertise. I'm
prepared to take some risks in trying anything once and have so far
been able to turn my hand to many new and varied tasks and situations.
I'm adaptable and a quick learner.  (All of these lovely adjectives I
feel are demonstrated in my work and experience to date.)

My questions being that I'm interested in perhaps moving out of
education and trying something new, with my interest in Linux etc...
that is the sort of thing I'd like to go into.

What do the people on the LUG list think I should aim at/look into to
further myself and professional career?
What is the job market like in the area? Having gone straight into
employment from uni I'm a bit blind to the other opportunities.