[Klug-general] So, this new iPhone

J D Freeman klug at quixotic.org.uk
Wed Jan 10 22:18:12 GMT 2007

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 09:56:27PM +0000, Karl Lattimer wrote:
> To begin, I think you missed the point of innovation with your last
> comment so I removed it.

Loverly.

> When did leopard come out? I must have missed that, Tiger is out but
> leopard is available to developers only.

Announced if not released.

> Dashboard is new, or at least a working one is, Apple invented this
> in 1986 but held it back from completion because it didn't work as
> well as it could have.

Ooh, that looks like gkrellm, or maybe the stuff google fires at me on
the custom home page. Very similiar.

> Expose was new in panther

Nothing special tho is it?

> Spotlight was new, beagle was an infant but functional but still
> spotlight got there first

find . -name *something* -print

> The Dock was new in Puma but was never given the attention it deserved

Dock, erm, hmm, let me think? Window maker's dock ?

> CoreImage
> CoreAudio

Image libary, and an Audio library. Nothing special there. sorry.

> Not to mention iLife, your machine hasn't done any of this for the
> last few years. Quite simply put!

iLife? lets see:

iphoto (not going to honour this with a response)
iMovie (adobe premier, cinelera, etc...)
iDVD (its a dvd burner, woo yay!)
GarageBand (Cakewalk, acid pro, etc.. Nothing woo, revolutionary)
iWeb (dream weaver)

See its all pretty mundane boring stuff we have had before, ok it might
be made to look pretty, or be easier to use, but its not revolutionary.
Its just iterative stuff of what we already had.

> I think you sound like a person who goes witch hunting and accusing
> people of turning you into a newt.

Say what now?

> Cell is the largest change to computing in 65 years, sure the bombe
> was cool, but it could only do asymmetric arithmetic for computing
> the incorrect result of two vector solvable comparisons. Thankfully
> Eniac came around and changed that allowing real programming of a
> universal machine. I think the innovation during the information
> revolution stands for itself, this is no reason to start nit picking
> at apple yet again.

One word: Transputer

The cell isn't new. Its a retake on the transputer, a british invention
no less, one of the finest examples of crap marketting in the computer
industry. Its the TSR II of the british computer industry. Cell is not
new, not special.

> Now that Cell is becoming available synergistic processing which in
> fact is only one step down from quantum on a scale of truly awesome
> data processing architectures will consume the world with its
> almighty AI

You said that with a straigh face? Sorry it made me laugh so so so much.

> You're either a golf ball short of a game or you missed a few
> paradigm changes. We had things like, e-mail, internet, graphical
> user interfaces and not to mention multi-tasking multi-user
> environments.

Internet - 1969
Email - 1961
GUI - Xerox PARC 1970's
Multitasking multi user - PDP 7 in the corner, unix 1969.

Just to name a few. All over 30 years ago. THIS IS NOTHING NEW.

> See above
>
> multitasking is the ability for a kernel to decide what it should be
> spending its time on, there can be lots of programs running each
> getting their slice of the pie, many users can interface with one
> computer via networks, the computer itself is only a machine for
> running the nonsense. I've for instance seen one computer setup with
> two monitors, two keyboards, two mice and two users, how is this
> possible? Well X can separate input devices per display. Isn't that
> wonderful, not to mention VNC, Citrix, terminal services, ssh,
> telnet, telenet (hah dialup shell, i remember that hehehe). The list
> goes on and on.

Yes, you have the machine doing several things, but while you still have
the "maximise the window to use it" type paradigm that MS thrusts upon
us, and is almost default on os X, its still one task at a time, you
then switch to another window to use that. One task, one person.

Yes you do get people who use more than one computer together, or you
have one user using many computers, Hell we have had this since atleast
1969. BUT BUT BUT, this is not all pervasive. this is not common, You
still have a PC on the desk, with one user, and one task.

> If you keep making statements which are so utterly stupid I will have
> to patronise you some more.

Go for it, please, this is great fun.

> iLife, one example of good software which makes you use a computer as
> an advantage not a way of choring through getting stuff done.

Eh?

> C# is fantastic, Java was brilliant and inspired, python is a hackers
> dream, the fact is these things have changed and got better

No they are not. Java is full of design flaws that its a joke
(gridbaglayout anyone?) C# is an evolution of java which fixes things
which aren't broken. Python is ok, but its nothing special compared to
algol68, yes its better, but its not world rockingly fantastic. It isn't
revolutionary.

> I'm glad you said it, I think you really need to wake up and ride the
> current dawning of the information age, rather than reminiscing about
> the information revolution. The war is over, Kennedy is dead, the
> iPhone is here!

No it isn't you said yourself its not out over here yet. Atleast be
consistant in your incorrectness.

> To be honest, I was holding back saying "Will somebody put their cock
> in her mouth and shut her up" but I thought taste and decency should
> prevent me from doing so.

Oooh, now there is an offer I like.

How about you stick yours in there and we see where we end up. Drop me a
mail off list:

virgin at slut.org.uk

> Wheyhey, a lost religion with 0 surviving written proof that it even
> was a religion, completely wiped out by the romans, amalgamated into
> lost culture and fairy tales by word of mouth and devoured by
> manipulated christian beliefs. lol, well done you might as well call
> yourself a moonwatcher.

By chance are you a pilot with the US air force, you seem to miss the
point about as well.

Your knowledge and understanding of religion and paganism is eclipsed
only by the size of your ego. But that is off topic for this list.
However, I am very very happy for you to buy me a pint in the pub on
friday and I will happily educate you on this one.

> By the way, I'm not a christian, I don't buy into any belief system,
> I make my own mind up. Its far more interesting to read Arthur C
> Clark and Asimov than the freakin bible!

I suggest you go read the quran, I suggest you read the bible too,
Simply so you know what you are talking about when slagging it off.

> I watched the keynote, had me convinced. I can't wait to try one, I
> mean it could have just been another phone, or it could have been
> like the 770, in fact its much more and I like the design, and the OS
> so why not. What I suggest you do is try and see the good in these
> peoples work, it will influence another generation of user interface
> designers, it will inspire better work from competitors, it is
> therefore a revolution in phone design.

I do not agree with you on this one, however, you do have the right to
an oppinion. I don't see it as that special tbh. But then i remember
seeing all the stuff coming from bt about revolutionising the way we
work (remember office on arm anyone?) and where are we now?

This is not innovation, its iteration.

> >PS You coming to the pub on friday?
>
> Not likely, I'm thumping my head against a wall asking WHY, WHY WHY
> are people so fucking dumb. and to be honest I think your answers to
> the purity test would have formed a better counter argument than what
> you wrote.

Why, rather than insulting me from a keyboard, don't you come to the
pub, enjoy a drink, and have a nice talk with like minded geeks?

I wont bite unless you asked very nicely.