[Klug-general] the future of KLUG

George Prowse cokehabit at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 16:51:37 GMT 2007

Another question...
> Should KLUG abandon all pretence of serving the whole enormous
> county of Kent, change its name to East Kent LUG to reflect the fact
> that it concentrates all its activities in East Kent and does
> nothing at all in West Kent, and leave us (if there's anybody other
> than me!) in West Kent to set up our own group, mailing list etc?
>
> Kent is simply too big to be covered by one group. Hold meetings at
> one of the far extreme edges of Kent, and people from the other
> extreme won't be able to get there, hold meetings centrally and
> people from both extreme edges will have difficulty. We're all busy
> people, and nobody wants to attend meetings where the travelling
> time is longer than the meeting itself - it's ridiculous to expect
> anybody to make a 100 mile round trip just to attend a LUG meeting!
>
> I'm in Otford, near Sevenoaks, and I have ME so my ability to travel
> is limited. Since I joined KLUG - I can't remember exactly when, but
> it must be at least a couple of years -  there has not been one
> single meeting at a venue within reasonable travelling distance.
> Sevenoaks would be ideal, Tonbridge, Swanley, Dartford or even
> Tunbridge Wells would be possible, but anywhere further than that is
> too far for me to even consider.
>
> A Dartford venue was suggested - and I see it's been pencilled in
> for the meetings in March, June & September - but we don't seem to
> have any details of the venue on the website. And it's not exactly
> convenient for members from Dover & Thanet!
>
> Oh, and if there's anybody else here from West Kent, please de-lurk
> & wave - I'm feeling a little lonely over here!

KLUG should not be sliced and diced into little pieces because at the
moment people are organising their own mini meetings and get-togethers,
if you cut up KLUG you will only have micro LUGs.

At the moment some people travel and some people dont and having
travelling meetings is working out well, all we need is more of them :)
Also, a car pool would be nice.