[Klug-general] the future of KLUG

Allen Brooker allen at allenjb.me.uk
Tue Jan 16 17:33:55 GMT 2007

George Prowse wrote:
> Another question...
>> <SNIP>
>>
> KLUG should not be sliced and diced into little pieces because at the
> moment people are organising their own mini meetings and get-togethers,
> if you cut up KLUG you will only have micro LUGs.
>
> At the moment some people travel and some people dont and having
> travelling meetings is working out well, all we need is more of them :)
> Also, a car pool would be nice.

I agree.

The tone of some of the posts does seem to be "lets rush out and chop
KLUG up" and personally I don't think that will work well, especially if
not done right. I think that, especially with a limited number of venues
as we have now, you're always going to get some people who unfortunately
won't be able to make it.

Personally I feel the roadshow system we've been using recently has
worked fairly well from an attendance point of view (despite the fact
that I've skipped a few recently - they were more because I'm lazy and
would've skipped them anyway than because I couldn't get there).

I feel we should try to continue the roadshow system. If we don't have
enough venues, then perhaps put out some more calls for some.

Additionally, I feel that we should sort out our internal organisation
before trying to do too many things. If Kevin is stepping aside, then I
think we should look at a committee-like structure and perhaps have some
volunteers responsible for management of venues and the like.

Only once we actually have this sorted out do I feel we should start
looking at any changes to the format. We mya find that a volunteer with
a bit more time on their hands and who doesn't have to worry about
organising other things too can drum up some more venues around Kent
that we can use.

Allen

PS. There is a car pool forum on the website, but you have to be signed
in to see it. Accounts are free, quick and easy to set up and I'm sure
nothing evil will be done with the data. If people post some requests
for lifts then they might get some responses =)