[Klug-general] Klug documentation

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 13:24:57 GMT 2007

On 17/01/07, Dan Attwood <danattwood at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I agree that the charity line is probably not one worth exploring.
> Theres a perception that by being a charity you automatically qualify
> for free shit - havinf work for one for 6 years I can tell you this is
> absoultly not the case. plus we could probably piggy back on the UK
> lugs and FSF is need be to inply some degree of status.
>
> As Thanet Lug - and all over small groups. Why not hold a meeting in a
> living room/dining or organise a pub if only 6 people are around? You
> can still advertise those meeetings on the KLUG website, come chat in
> the irc and take part in the mailing lists - all under the banner of
> the KLUG.
>
> As for the justification of physical meets  i think the key word here
> is physical. The meets offer a personnal touch that none of the other
> of the comms method provide. talks and a diverse program will also
> help this. personally i like the meets and i'm happy to travel for
> them and i'm happy to give people lifts.

Being a charity is worth it if you need to handle money, KLUG as is
does not, currently hence no benifit. Being a charity gains you about
20% in tax rebates and thats about it. But if you have no money there
is no point. If we came up with some reason for needing money then
there might be some point in being a charity.

Peter Childs