[Klug-general] Methods of Gaining Linux Skills to Work in Industry

George Prowse cokehabit at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 21:56:50 GMT 2007

Ben Sutton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Having read the job advert forwarded by Alan, I started thinking about
> what skills are required to work with Linux out in industry and more
> specifically how to gain those skills.  I work with Windows in my day
> job but use Linux almost exclusively at home and have done for around 6
> years now.
>
> Having used Linux day in day out for 6 years, you learn how to configure
> Apache, write the odd bash script, recompile a kernel, etc - but I've
> never felt confident enough in my skills to apply for Linux related
> jobs.
>
> So, my question is, what is the best method of coming up with proof for
> potential employers that I can administer Linux?  Should I be looking at
> certification, or is my day to day experience enough? If you work with
> Linux, what do you think your employer was looking for when you applied?
>
> Thanks for any input.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ben.

Well, for any linux job you will need a few things:

You will need to...
1) be able to write your CV in Klingon.
2) be able to write bash scripts that order porn into various categories
3) be able to argue several subjects to death without knowing anything
about them.
4) be unable to figure how women take their bra off without taking their
top off
5) be able to explain why LOTR is better than Star Wars
6) as above but vice versa
7) know how to output assembly with GCC
8) know how to convert joules into newton metres and vice versa.
9) b3 4b13 70 \/\/r173 133t p0s7s

Am i missing any?

George